Your birthday party is on the weekend (I am reminded of that several times daily!) but today we celebrated your actual birthday with gifts, cupcakes, and candles. Your friends sang ‘bonne fete’ to you at school. At bedtime you told me you loved your day sooo much, that you felt special, and that it was time for the most special birthday gift of all – a hug! You climbed onto my lap and I was struck by how big you are, how far your legs hung out over mine, how heavy your head was on my shoulder.
At six you …
- are Star Wars-lovin’ – and I mean Star Wars-Lovin’. Legos, Angry Birds, real Star Wars… it doesn’t matter which brand. One night we were talking about counting sheep to fall asleep and you said you would count TIE fighters over Tatooine. Yup.
- are so great with school. You take everything about school in stride, from the mean kids on the playground to learning french (It is amazing to me how much french you have learned in such a short time). You giggle when the bus driver calls you “Oliver Schmoliver”. And I can see how exposure to other kids your age has made a real difference in how you interact with kids in general.
- are so kind and soft with Eleanor. She loves when you spend time with her. You’ll be the best of friends.
- are musical. You sing and hum to yourself a lot. We need to focus on piano lessons more.
- play longer with Emery more and more. It really makes mommy’s heart warm to watch you two building borders with blocks or making legos or helping each other in a dominoes game.
- are still a handful sometimes. We’re working on listening skills and temper control.
- are so creative. The things you build with Lego blow my mind – cars, star ships, shooters.
- still love being outside, snow or no snow.
You can’t wait for your party on Saturday and I can’t wait to throw it for you! Tonight you were happy to pick out your cupcake and put candles in it, but you are super excited to have your friends over and play.